Eyes are the windows to your soul, but when those windows get irritated so does your soul. Whether it’s due to pollution or allergies, itchy eyes can turn the kindest of souls into monsters. But you don’t have to let others see your ugly side, not when you can relieve your eye irritation or itchiness with some soothing home remedies for itchy eyes.
Home Remedies for Itchy Eyes
- Cold Compresses
The first thing you need to do is relieve the inflammation around your eyes, which is likely caused by the same irritant that is making your eyes itch. Start by splashing some cold water on your face and eyes, followed by putting ice cubes, ice packs or any frozen food material (wrapped in clean cotton towel or cloth) on your eyes, with your eyelids closed. You can also try a cloth item soaked in ice cold water and placed over your eyes. Repeat this several times a day until your itchiness is gone.
For a more effective cold compress, you can make one out of chamomile tea bags:
- Take some used chamomile tea bags and place them inside a refrigerator for thirty minutes.
- Then, take the tea bags out and place them over your closed eyelids for at least ten minutes.
- For a faster recovery, repeat this three or four times in a day.
If you do not wish to use a cold compress, you can make an eye wash out of chamomile as well:
- Take one cup of boiled water and add either one teaspoon of dried chamomile or one teabag.
- Let it steep for at least five minutes and strain.
- Allow it to cool down and use the water to wash your eyes.
You may have seen this remedy being tried out countless times, on television and in real life. This is because, cucumbers have very powerful antioxidants as well as flavonoids, both of which are believed to help in reducing irritation. Simply, cut out two slices from a fresh cucumber and place them in ice cold water for ten minutes, or in the refrigerator for fifteen to twenty minutes. Then, take them out and place them over your eyelids for a further ten minutes. Repeat this process four to five times in a day.
Rosewater, due to its many amazing properties, should be in every grocery list whether or not urgently required. For itchy eyes, rosewater is the perfect remedy as it has a really cooling and soothing effect.
- You can use rosewater to wash your eyes at least twice in a day.
- You can also use it as eye drops for quick relief. Simply, pour three drops of rosewater into the eye that has inflammation.
Another simple and easily available home remedy is using cold milk. To use milk for soothing your itchy eyes, take a cotton ball, dab it in cold milk and rub it around your closed eyes. You may also use milk as a cold compress; soak a cotton ball in milk and place it over your closed eyelids, repeating twice a day (morning and evening), for instant relief.