Indigestion is as common as the common cold. Whether it’s due to fatty, greasy food, or a side-effect of some other health concern, indigestion can be uncomfortable at best, and downright painful at its worst. But, you now can use some of these easy home remedies for indigestion to relieve that nausea and pain.
Home Remedies for Indigestion
Ginger has long been used for upset stomachs and indigestion and continues to be a favorite among those who prefer home remedies over medicines.Eat a few pieces of candied ginger to get rid of the discomfort or make ginger tea:
- Add 1 teaspoon of grated ginger to 1 cup of water and boil it for a few minutes. Drink this tea after meals or when suffering from indigestion. You can also add a little honey or sugar.
Peppermint oil is great for soothing muscle spasms and getting rid of nausea. You can either take peppermint oil capsules or drink peppermint tea:
- Take 7-10 peppermint leaves and crush them gently using your fingers or the back of a spoon. Place these leaves in a mug.
- Boil some water and let it cool for a couple of minutes, then pour it over the leaves.
- Cover the mug and let it steep for 7-12 minutes.
- Remove the leaves and add honey or lemon if you want. Drink this tea to relieve indigestion.
- Hot Water
A simple cup of hot water can do miracles for an upset stomach, at least according to many people who have been using and advocating this method for a long time. If hot water does not sit well with you, you can also try warm ginger ale, flat cola, or lemon-lime soda.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is good for neutralizing stomach acid and getting rid of acid reflux and gas, which may be causing indigestion. Simply take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and dissolve it in 1 glass of water. Drink this when suffering from indigestion. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice to prevent the gas from baking soda causing any tears in the stomach.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have the opposite problem and don’t have enough acid in your stomach, then try cider vinegar for digestion. Take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, add it to half a cup of water and drink it as is, or after adding a little honey.