We have all felt that burning pain in our chest after a big, greasy meal or a couple of beers, especially before going to bed. That pain is usually caused by acid from the stomach refluxing back into the esophagus, and is also known as acid reflux. While you should check in with your doctor if the pain is too extreme or lasts too long, you can try some simple home remedies for heartburn to relieve the pain in the meantime.
Home Remedies for Heartburn
- Baking Soda
Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is a base with a pH of 7.0 and can help neutralize the acid in your stomach, so that in case of acid reflux, your throat or esophagus is saved from being burned. You can use baking soda in the following way:
- Take half a teaspoon, or one full teaspoon, of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water (8 ounces of water is enough). Stir to mix it well and drink all of it.
- You can repeat this several times a day, but be sure to not exceed three and half teaspoons in one day. Also, since the baking soda contains salt which can cause nausea or swelling, do not drink this mixture for more than a week straight.
- Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera juice can help reduce inflammation and may help with your acid reflux. Drink half cup aloe vera juice before your meals to prevent heartburn. However, it can also act as a laxative so try to buy a brand which has removed the laxative component.
- Sugar-Free Gum
Chewing gum can stimulate your salivary glands, increasing the flow of saliva which candilute and wash away acid from the gut.So, simple chew a piece of sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after your meal to prevent any possible heartburns.
- Gingerroot Tea
Sip a cup of gingerroot tea 20 minutes before eating to calm you stomach:
- Slice 3 quarter sized slices of gingerroot and add it to 2 cups of water.
- Simmer the water gently for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the water in a cup – you can remove the pieces of ginger root or leave them in – and drink 20 minutes before eating.
- Banana or Apple
With the natural antacids in bananas, eating one ripened banana everyday can act as a buffer against acid reflux. You can also eat one sliced apple a couple of hours before going to bed to prevent heartburn during your sleep.