It’s amazing how a microscopic bacteria or virus can be the cause of so many problems; one single microorganism in your food can wreak havoc on your body by causing food poisoning. But, you can fight these pesky little demons with these natural home remedies for food poisoning.
Home Remedies for Food Poisoning
With its antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties, garlic is one of the best options when suffering from food poisoning:
- Take one fresh clove of garlic and swallow it with water.
- You can also drink garlic juice if you can stomach the smell of garlic.
Lemon too has some antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, and the acid in lemon can fight the bacteria that may cause food poisoning:
- Take 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and add a pinch of sugar. Drink this 2-3 times a day.
- You can also add some lemon juice to warm water and drink it to keep your stomach clean.
Ginger has long been used to cure various digestive problems, including food poisoning. You can either eat raw ginger slices or try one of these:
- Take 1 teaspoon grated ginger and add it to 1 cup of water. Boil for a few minutes, and some sugar or honey. Drink this ginger tea after your meal to prevent digestive problems like food poisoning.
- You can also take one teaspoon of honey and add a few drops of ginger juice. Swallow this mixture several times throughout the day to get rid of pain and inflammation.
- Fenugreek Seeds and Yogurt
While fenugreek seeds relieve abdominal discomfort, yogurt has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which can kill the bacteria that causes food poisoning:
- Take 1 tablespoon yogurt and add 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds. Swallow this whole, without chewing the seeds, for instant relief from vomiting and stomach pains.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
With its alkaline effect in the body, apple cider vinegar can kill the bacteria that causes food poisoning and soothe the gastrointestinal lining:
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix it in 1 cup of hot water. Drink this before eating your meal.
- You can also drink 2-3 teaspoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar for instant relief.