Is there anything worse than an itch you can’t reach? What if that itch is persistent, such as in the condition of eczema? And even if you do manage to reach it, or it is at a place easily accessible to your nails, then scratching it may be the best feeling in the world. However, overdoing it can lead to scars, which may fade but never truly go away. If you’re suffering from this relentless itching and the resultant scarring, or want to prevent it from ever happening to you, then you can follow the home remedies for eczema scars laid down below.
Home Remedies for Eczema Scars
The god of all home remedies; honey. There is nothing that this amazing substance can’t help treat, prevent or relieve the symptoms of. The reason for its use for skin conditions like eczema is its antibacterial, antiseptic and overall soothing properties. There are two ways that you can use honey:
- Wash your face thoroughly and apply some honey to the affected areas of the skin daily.
- Make a scrub of crystallized sugar and honey. Use this to gently scrub the affected areas of your skin for a few minutes, rinsing it off when done. Repeat this a few times every week until your scars fade away.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is good for taking care of the problem from both the outside and the inside since it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It can keep your skin moisturized if applied directly to the affected area and reduce the symptoms caused by the excessive drying of skin, which will lead to a decrease in the itchiness and the scratching it results in.
- To reduce the scars caused by eczema, leave the Aloe Vera overnight to help get rid of the dead skin cells and encourage the regeneration of new cells.
- Baking Soda
Another method to remove dead skin cells and reduce the itchiness they cause, is by using baking soda as an exfoliant.
- Take 1 tablespoon of water and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to it.
- Mix it to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected area and rinse it off with lukewarm water after a few minutes.
- Olive Oil / Coconut Oil
Olive oil is great for relieving the symptoms of eczema as it softens the skin, reduces itchiness and redness caused by drying and fades scars; all due to its anti-inflammatory properties. If you do not have access to olive oil, then you can use coconut oil as an alternative.
- Take some extra-virgin olive oil and use it gently massage the affected area
- Then, take a hot washcloth and place it over the area you have just massaged. Leave it until it cools down completely
- Use lukewarm water to wipe away the excess oil.
- Repeat this 1-2 times a day.
- Cocoa Butter / Shea Butter
Cocoa butter is widely used as a skin salve due to its restorative properties, and is believed to help lighten dark scars. Apply pure cocoa butter (not lotions containing cocoa butter) on the affect area daily. The same result can also be achieved with shea butter.