Diabetes is a common occurrence in our world now; whether you’re young or old, you are still as much at risk as anybody else for getting diabetes. And once your diabetes has been diagnosed, you then begin your long and difficult journey with medicines. Medicines are of course essential for combating diabetes, like any other illness, but there are things you can do at home to prevent or control diabetes as well. Here we have listed some of the home remedies for diabetes that actually work.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Green Tea
Green tea, unlike many other tea leaves, is not only unfermented but also has a high concentration of polyphenol. This polyphenol, besides being a strong antioxidant, is also a hypoglycemic compound, which controls the release of blood sugar. Furthermore, it helps your body use the insulin it produces in a better way. So, drink a cup of green tea in the morning or before you eat.
- Pour hot water in a cup and steep a bag of green tea in it for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the bag and drink.
Flaxseeds are high in fiber which helps with digestion and the absorption of sugars and fats.
- Take 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed powder and swallow it with a glass of warm water. Do this every morning on an empty stomach. However, make sure to not take more than 2 tablespoons in a day since higher amount can be harmful to your health.
- Holy Basil
Holy basil is a strong antioxidant and contains essential oils, which aid in the proper functioning of the pancreas’ beta cells. Holy basil can be consumed in two ways:
- Chew 2-3 holy basil leaves whole, on an empty stomach, in the morning.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of holy basil juice on an empty stomach.
Cinnamon not only improves insulin sensitivity, but also decreases blood sugar level.
- Take half a teaspoon of cinnamon every day or include 1 gram in your daily diet. Keep this up for about a month to reduce blood sugar levels.