What is the one thing that every living thing on this planet takes for granted? Something they can’t live without, but never give a second thought to? Breathing. What if that one thing was taken away or made harder for you? That fear is what people with asthma have to go through every second of their lives. If you’re one of those people, then medications and medical treatments are the best way to relieve the symptoms associated with asthma. However, there are some home remedies for asthma that you can try as well, to find some relief at home, some of which are given below:
Home Remedies for Asthma
Honey tops our list of home remedies, like it does many other lists, because of the oils and alcohol contained within it. There are many ways that you can use honey when asthma troubles you:
- Some people find relief by simply inhaling the smell of honey.
- Take a glass of hot water and mix 1 teaspoon of honey in it. Drink this mixture three times a day to prevent the onset of asthma.
- Mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder with 1 teaspoon of honey and swallow it before going to sleep. This will help you sleep better by removing the phlegm from your throat.
Ginger is another staple of home remedies due to its many beneficial properties. It is especially helpful for relieving the symptoms of asthma as it helps decrease inflammation in the airways and inhibits their contraction. According to some studies, it also contains compounds that increase some asthma drugs’ muscle relaxant effects.There are many different ways you can use ginger:
- You can simply mix some salt with raw ginger and eat it as is.
- Take equal amounts of ginger juice, honey and pomegranate juice, and mix them well. Swallow 1 tablespoon of this concoction 2-3 times in a day.
- Boil a pot of water, add one inch of ginger, cut into small pieces, and let it steep for 5 minutes. Let it cool down and drink it.
- Take 1 ½ cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger to it. Mix it well, and swallow 1 tablespoon before going to bed.
- Take a cup of water, add 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds to it and bring it to boil. Then, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of ginger juice. Drink this concoction every day, once in the morning and once in the evening. This is perfect for detoxifying your lungs and reducing the symptoms of asthma
During the early stages of asthma, you can help prevent it getting worse by clearing the congestion in your lungs. For this, you can use garlic in the following manner:
- Take ¼ cup of milk and add 2-3 cloves of garlic to it.
- Bring it to boil, then remove it from heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Drink when cooled down.
The best remedy, or at least the favorite of coffee lovers, is using coffee to relieve asthma symptoms since the caffeine in coffee can act as a bronchodilator. A hot cup of coffee helps clear your airways and lets you relax, and the stronger it is the better. However, do not drink more than 3 cups of black coffee a day.